Did you know if you have sciatica pain a chiropractor can help?
Sciatica pain happens when the sciatic nerve, a large nerve extending from the lower back down the back of each leg (sometimes even to the toes), is inflamed or injured, putting pressure on the sciatic nerve and causing pain in the lower back that spreads to the hip, buttocks and leg. Patients often describe a shooting pain that radiates from the back and rear to the leg and can be worse when sitting. Typically it affects only one side of the body. Sometimes there is tingling, weakness, numbness or difficulty moving the leg. The pain can be severe in some individuals and lead to insomnia, as well.
Treatments can include medication such as anti-inflammatory or muscle relaxants, but did you know that regular chiropractic care also can help the body heal itself through a non-invasive (non-surgical), drug-free approach?
Common Sciatica Pain Causes:
- Strain of the spine due to pregnancy
- A “slipped disc” or spondylolisthesis
- Degenerative disc disease
- Spinal stenosis
- Excessive weight on your frame
- Lack of exercise
- Wrong shoes
- Wrong mattress
Types of non-invasive sciatica treatments used by chiropractors:
- Spinal adjustment and manipulation to help restore the proper position of the spine.
- Cold Therapy to reduce inflammation.
- Gentle heat of ultrasound that gently penetrates deep into tissues to increases circulation and reduce swelling, stiffness and pain.
- Infrared Sauna
- K-Laser treatments which feature the use of specific wavelengths of light (red and near-infrared) to stimulate the body’s natural ability to heal at the the cellular level.
Suffering with chronic sciatica pain? In and around Hamilton County Indiana? We can help. Book an appointment today with Dr. Erin Merrill.