What’s the Hype with Infrared Saunas?
Saunas and other heat therapies have been a part of maintaining health in many cultures for thousands of years. But when people typically think of saunas, they envision a steam room of sorts that creates a hot, sweaty experience. While these types of saunas are still popular, we’d like to introduce you to the newer guy in town… the infrared sauna.
Unlike your traditional steam room experience, the infrared sauna emits infrared light that is absorbed by the surface of the skin, heating the body directly and causing a rise in core temperature rather than overheating the room. This results in a deep, relaxing and detoxifying sweat.
What are the Benefits of Infrared Saunas Combined with Chiropractic Care?
1) Detoxification – As chiropractic therapy works to improve full body wellness, sweating is the body’s safest and most natural way to release toxins.
2) Relaxation and General Wellbeing – We know that Chiropractic Therapy can Help with Stress, Anxiety and Depression. But, researchers from Nishi Kyusyu University in Japan found that the relaxing benefits of heat treatment, such as infrared sauna, could actually work better when combined with other holistic treatments such as chiropractic adjustments, therapeutic massages and mental health counseling.
3) Treating Chronic Health Conditions – Chiropractic care works to bring the body into alignment so it can operate at its peak. By coupling that care with infrared sauna therapy, one can add an additional layer of attack against conditions such as high blood pressure, congestive heart failure, dementia and Alzheimer’s disease, headache, type 2 diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis, according to the Mayo Clinic.
4) Weight Loss – As the body works to cool itself, there is a substantial increase in heart rate, cardiac output and metabolic rate, causing the body to burn more calories, while providing the mental clarity one gains from a mild workout.
5) Pain Relief – Infrared sauna therapy works by penetrating tissue, joints, and muscles to increase circulation and decrease inflammation. Therefore, pain management professionals often rely on infrared sauna therapy to relieve anything from minor aches and pains to muscle spasms and chronic pain conditions.
Aside from being one of the safest and most effective healing methods, the benefits of infrared therapy can be felt in as little as 15-20 minutes, with little to no side effects. To learn more, contact us today or ask at your next visit to see how your wellness plan can be improved with infrared sauna therapy.